The Collossal Squid
HABITAT? The deep waters of the Antarctic
DID YOU KNOW?
- It was discovered in 1925 when two tentacles of the animal were found in the stomach of a sperm whale.
- The largest of its kind was captured in February 2007. It weighed 450 kilograms (1091 lbs.) and was 10 metres (33 feet) long.
- It has sharp hooks on its suckers and a beak.
- Its eyes can be as wide as dinner plates.
- Like most squids, females are usually the larger of the two sexes. The one that was caught in 2007 was a male.