HABITAT: The hot, dry regions of Paraguay, Bolivia, Brazil and Argentina
DID YOU KNOW?
- It was thought to be extinct, until 1975, when the animal was discovered to be alive.
- Only about 3,000 exist in the world.
- It has many "pig-like" features, like a leathery snout and brown to gray bristle-like fur.
- This animal feeds on different cactus plants by using its tough snout to rub off the spiky spines of the cactus. It may also pull out the spines with its teeth.
- It has extremely small feet, which allows it to move among spiny plants.