THE COCONUT CRAB
HABITAT? In burrows of sand or loose soil near the Indian Ocean and the central Pacific Ocean.
DID YOU KNOW?
- It grows up to 1 metre (3.25 ft) in length and 3 kg (6.61 lb) in weight.
- It uses its large, muscular claws to husk and open coconuts for food.
- Its eyes are red, but the colour of its body ranges from purplish-blue to orange-red.
- Males are much larger than females.
- Their claws are so powerful that they can be used to lift objec ts weighing up to 28 kg (61.73 lb).