By Dina Ginzburg
Today, Harry Potter’s best friend celebrates his birthday… well not really, but the actor who played him in the films turns 24 today! That’s right, Rupert Grint (who we first saw as a pre-teen in HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE) is all grown up!
To honour his special day, we’ve compiled some interesting facts that you may not know about him.
- To get an audition for the HARRY POTTER series, Rupert sent a video of himself dressed up as a girl and rapping about how much he wanted the role of Ron Weasley.
- His favourite character has always been Ron and he finds he can relate to him in many ways. They both have a big family, ginger hair, love candy and hate spiders.
- Rupert loves to draw. He even went so far as to sketch a portrait of Alan Rickman, who plays Snape!
- Not only is he talented, but he’s kind too! He bought his family a house on a private island and spent the day with a fan who had cancer.
- His full name is Rupert Alexander Lloyd Grint.
- When the director of the third HARRY POTTER film asked the cast to write an essay about their characters, Rupert didn’t do it because that’s what Ron would have done!
- While filming the seventh HARRY POTTER film, Rupert caught H1N1 and had to take time off filming. Luckily he made a full recovery!
- He’s a man of many talents. He can ride a unicycle and play the guitar, banjo and didgeridoo.
- His favourite scenes to film in the HARRY POTTER series were the slug scene in the second film, the Whomping Willow scene in the second film and the giant chessboard scene in first film.
- His favourite actor is Jim Carey.
We hope you have an amazing birthday, Rupert!